Study Abroad fair to be held in Holmes Student Center

By Roxana Moraga

Students can explore the possibility of studying in foreign lands at Wednesday’s study abroad fair.

The fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center.

Students planning on attending will ask questions of program representatives and peer advisers, and will have the chance to attend Study Abroad 101, an informational session about the first steps in the study abroad process.

“Study abroad is a life-changing experience that adds value to a student’s academic experience,” said Lauren Mock, outreach and programming coordinator for the Study Abroad office. “Students should come to the fair … it’s a one-stop shop focused on study abroad, where they can learn about program options and get their questions and concerns answered.”

Students who don’t know much about studying abroad may have misconceptions about the program.

“I actually spent less money in a semester going abroad than living on campus,” said Adrienne Decker, former peer adviser for the Study Abroad office. “There are certain countries that are obviously going to be more expensive, but there are definitely a lot of options available for anyone who thinks money may be a problem.”

Peer adviser Kristin Roenfanz said many programs are comparable to tuition cost, which can be hard for students to “wrap their heads around.”

Mock said misconceptions such as this one will be cleared up at the fair, where students can get more reliable information from people with experience.

Mock and Roenfanz said interest in studying abroad has increased over the years.

“Each year more students are attending the fair and coming into the Study Abroad Office to learn about opportunities for studying abroad,” Mock said.

Roenfanz said many students have already stopped into the Study Abroad office this semester.

“I think students are realizing that it’s practical, it’s doable to study abroad and to achieve everything you want to do in college,” Roenfanz said.

Students may contact the Study Abroad office with any questions or concerns by calling 815-753-0700.