Rec busier with changed hours

By KeAndre Worthy

Students should consider the time of day the next time they go to the Recreation Center to work out.

The Rec’s hours changed with the new semester, and employees have reported an increase in business.

“Usually in the beginning of the semester we get about 2,000 to 2,300 students, but that generally tapers off to our average day being about 1,800 to 2,000,” said Chrissy Tluczek, assistant director of Open Recreation.

Campus Recreation has seen an increase in student users compared to last semester.

“We have peak times where larger amount of students come in,” Tluczek said. “They used to start at 4 p.m. but now because of the new hours we are seeing them start as early as 2 p.m. in [the] cardio and weight room.”

Fewer students work out at the Rec when there are events on campus, Tluczek said.

“Another influence on the amount of students we see is the weather. When it’s cold outside we get a lot more [students], or when the weather becomes too extreme we tend to serve a smaller amount of [students],” Tluczek said.

The Rec does have general busy times of year: In spring students come back with New Year resolutions and want to get in shape for spring break, so more students go to the Rec then, Tluczek said.

“[I] wish they were open later because my class schedule takes up my entire afternoon some days, and when they get busy it’s frustrating but manageable,” said Taeylor Jackson, a freshman visual arts major and Rec regular. “[It] makes me branch out my workout.”

The Recreation Center encourages students to use alternative facilities on busy days. Students may use the Chick Evans Field House. New Hall and Gilbert Hall also have workout areas for students.

“[The Recreational Center] offers everyone a voice and [tries] to answer every single request if they email or call. As long as they leave contact info, we will get back to you and fill you in on the why of [how things are at the Rec],” Tluczek said.

The Rec has encouraged students to rearrange their schedules, if possible, and work out before noon, a slower time for the Rec.

Tluczek said that there may be updates to the Rec down the road to meet the demand of students.

“It usually is busy,” said Thomas Flaherty, junior art education and therapy major. “I have to stay on a machine to keep it, but it’s never too overwhelming.”