Bite into downtown DeKalb’s Corn Fest this weekend

Callie Beckford, 31, of DeKalb hands out free DeKalb corn during the Corn Boil held at the DeKalb Taylor Municipal Airport during Corn Fest on August 25, 2012.

By Grace Martin

Corn Fest is just a walk away this weekend.

For the first time in five years Corn Fest will be held in downtown DeKalb. In the past, Corn Fest coincided with Move-In Day, while this year it will be held over the longer Labor Day Weekend.

“We hope that many students will stay in town for the weekend since they just moved in,” said Corn Fest chairperson Lisa Angel.

The festival will close Lincoln Highway between First and Fourth streets, which will affect students like freshman biology major Jania Nolan, who is going home over the weekend.

Angel thinks Corn Fest is a great way for those staying the weekend to get to know the area and start a new tradition.

“We have many NIU alums who come back every year just for Corn Fest,” said Angel. “… The festival [is] being downtown for the first time in five years, which makes it possible for students to walk downtown.”

Students are also able to take the Route 7 Huskie Bus, which will drop them off downtown.

Starting Friday night and continuing on through Sunday afternoon, acts like Back Country Roads, Cover Gurl and Josh Thompson will perform. Hi-Infidelity will take the stage at 9 p.m. Saturday with a laser light show.

This year, the festival will also feature a family-friendly beer garden. Visitors to this year’s beer garden do not need to be 21 to attend.

“Underage students should really know about this. They can go to the beer garden with their of-age friends and enjoy the music,” said Angel.

Saturday is the Chuck Siebrasse Corn Boil, when steamed sweet corn will be offered for free from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the sound stage area.

“They literally pick the corn less than 24 hours before they bring it to the festival,” said Angel. “Delmonte brings in 24,000 ears of corn to boil.”

Another free event is the Vintage Auto Show Autofest, which will be held from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Autofest takes place at the Old Mike Mooney dealership at Fourth and Locust streets. There will also be a bags tournament Saturday, and the cost to enter is $30 per team. The entry form can be found at the Corn Fest website, www.cornfest.com.

Admission to the festival is free, with a $5 charge to enter the soundstage area.