Huskie bus routes undergoes further changes to save money

By Erin Kolb

Students had fewer fees to pay this year due to a change in transit by the Huskie Bus Line System.

Joe Frascello, director of mass transit, said new bus routes saved students $135,000.

“We managed to save money while slimming down the route,” Frascello said. “It’s more efficient and there are fewer buses.”

Frascello said he heard many complaints about route 5 in the past and decided to change it this semester. Students living in Eco Park have complained the route is inconvenient when going to Barsema, and students like Tanisha Patterson, senior public health administration major, would have to take the multiple buses to get to her classes.

“I don’t like the fact that you have to come here first, then take another bus to your class,” Patterson said at the Holmes Student Center. “I liked when they’d pick you up from the dorms and go straight to the building you needed to go to.”

Because of complaints like these, the department changed the route Tuesday so it would travel north on Annie Glidden and then go east on Hillcrest Drive instead of west, and then south on Normal Road to Barsema Hall. Changes went into effect Tuesday.

“There was popular demand to revert back to the more efficient route,” Frascello said. “It makes more sense. Now there will be two buses coming about every 15 minutes or so.”

Efficiency was key in the route changes.

“The idea was to make the system easy to understand and intuitive,” Frascello said. “We want to bring students from wherever they live to campus.”

Some routes, like last year’s 4L and 4R, were changed to make things easier for students, Frascello said. Now, there is just one 4 route, and Frascello said the feedback has been positive.

Frascello said the 3L and 3R lines are now named appropriately, with two buses going in opposite directions, leaving every 20 minutes from the Student Center. He said students on Greek Row are pleased this route gives them another bus to get to class.

Routes 2L and 2R also have buses going in both directions now, which is supposed to make it easier for students to go to the residence halls from around campus.

Students seem to like some of the changes.

“I think the routes now are more specific to where students need to go. Hopefully this is efficient,” said business graduate student Charles Eleosida. “When things change, it can be chaotic on the first day, but I think everyone will get used to the changes in time.”

Routes 2L and 2R will also be modified as of Wednesday. Frascello said the Huskie Tracks mobile app and website, www.HuskieLine.com, will be up and running fully this week.