Involvement fair introduces students to clubs

By Erin Kolb

The Student Involvement Fair had more space than ever to showcase student organizations this year.

Brandon Hunter, graduate assistant for Leadership & Student Organizational Services, said Sunday was the first time the fair was in the Regency Room and the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center. In past years, the event was just held in the ballroom.

“This year, we wanted to have everything all together,” Hunter said. “We have 160 organizations here today and we want students to be able to see them all.”

Organizations at the fair included Greek, academic and intramural groups.

One group present was NIU STAND, a national anti-genocide and human rights group. President Heather Klain, a junior psychology major, was there to represent the NIU chapter.

“I’m here because I want to spread the word about our organization,” Klain said. “It’s a group not many people know about, but people can definitely make a difference.”

Klain said the group promotes activism and doing things like calling and writing to politicians to ask for support for their cause.

Not only was the fair a way for groups to get known, it was also a chance for students to find what interested them. Junior marketing major Krizelle Castillo is a transfer student about to start her first semester.

“It’s a great way to learn about new opportunities on campus,” Castillo said. “Especially for transfer or new students.”

Grace Molina, junior business administration major, is also a new transfer student.

“I like the idea of having a second chance to get involved,” Molina said. “It’s nice to have a clean slate and so many opportunities right in front of you.”