University Council honors President Peters at final meeting

President John J. Peters awards communications graduate student Melissa Entzminger with a certificate of appreciation on Wednesday during Peter’s last University Council meeting.

By Rachel Scaman

Kathleen Coles, University Affairs Committee chair, gave a status report on the student grievance policy at the last University Council meeting of the semester on Wednesday.

Coles said the university’s policies are not as modern as they should be, and she said many other universities are having the same issue.

“There are procedures on complaints of discrimination and sexual harassment,” Coles said. “The procedure for professors or staff members being uncivil is all very informal.”

Coles said revisions are being made to the procedure and the committee’s goal is to get a bylaw revision proposed by next semester.

Coles said other colleges are dealing with similar grievance procedure issues.

“My tentative conclusions are that although these kinds of university-wide grievance procedures are not universal, they are not unusual,” Coles said.

University Council voted Alan Rosenbaum to serve another year as executive secretary, and the council also voted in favor of the resolution concerning the shared governance role of Resources, Space, and Budgets Committee in setting recommendations for budget priorities.

Delonte LeFlore, senior corporate communications major, had his contributions to NIU acknowledged. This is his last semester as president of the Student Association (SA), as he will soon graduate.

“I have nine days, 17 hours and seven minutes until I walk across the stage,” LeFlore said.

The meeting ended with a presentation by Rosenbaum where NIU President John Peters was presented with a photo of two maps: one of DeKalb that was made in 1905, and one showing the location of Altgeld Hall in 1899.

It was Peters’ last University Council meeting before he steps down on June 30. Douglas Baker will take over as NIU president on July 1. Peters started at NIU in 2000.

“Thirteen years is a very long time, and he has made a tremendous number of impacts,” Rosenbaum said.

Rosenbaum said he believes people focus on how well Peters performed his job by how he handled the Feb. 14 shooting.

Rosenbaum said Peters is responsible for the construction of several of the buildings on campus, like Barsema Hall, and the renovation of Grant and Gilbert Halls.

The University Council will not meet again until Sept. 18.