University Council welcomes new president

NIU President-Elect Douglas D. Baker thanks President Peters and the search committee for believing and trusting in him to help move NIU forward and build upon President Peter’s achievements within the campus on Wednesday afternoon at University Council in Altgeld Hall.

By Logan Love

The University Council (UC) welcomed incoming NIU president Douglas Baker on Wednesday.

The UC met for a regular meeting that was highlighted by current President John Peters introducing Baker. Baker introduced himself and his wife, Dana Stover, and talked about his past experience and what he plans to brings to NIU.

Military veteran Nick Bender, Student Association director of governmental affairs, talked about a meeting he attended earlier in the day with State Senator Dick Durbin.

“I was one of the five students who was asked to be [part of] a roundtable discussion about our experiences as veterans and our transition to college life or civilian life and some of the challenges and how NIU has helped us adapt and overcome those challenges,” Bender said.

Peters also met with the senator while he was on campus and introduced him to Baker, saying they had an engaging discussion.

“I’ve known Senator Durbin for a long time and he’s a good friend to NIU,” Peters said.

Peters explained Durbin was touring northern Illinois and he met with student veterans to discuss the challenges of moving from military to civilian life. Peters said NIU had more than 800 veterans on campus.

The University Affairs Committee presented the 2022-2023 academic calendar, which was approved, as well as revisions to the guidelines for establishing an academic calendar. According to university bylaws, academic calendars must be established 10 years in advance. Peters asked why the calendars must be preapred 10 years in advance, but no one in attendance could answer.

The University Affairs Committee also proposed revisions to the annual evaluation of the ombudsperson. The ombudsperson offers consultation for any member of the university community to discuss university-related issues or conflicts. The revisions include changing the university bylaws so the ombudsperson is evaluated in the middle of their three-year term; at present, there is an annual evaluation of the ombudsperson. As this was only the first reading no official action was taken, but a straw poll showed support for the revisions.

A report from the SA was presented by its president, Delonte LeFlore. LeFlore congratulated Baker on becoming NIU’s 12th president and welcomed him. LeFlore said junior Jack Barry would become NIU’s 45th student body president in May, and he was already busy assembling a new cabinet. Increased voter turnout in the recent election and a discussion of the Student Recreation Center improvement referendum was also mentioned. More than 1,400 students voted on the referendum; 937 students voted yes, emphasizing the importance of improving the Student recreation Center, LeFlore said.

The next and final meeting of the UC this semester will be at 3 p.m. on May 1 in the Holmes Student Center Sky Room.