Program looks to NIU community for Kenya aid

By Newell Miao

Students, faculty and staff are helping to further women’s education in Kenya through Jane Adeny Memorial School (JAMS).

JAMS is an all-girls boarding school located in Kenya.

NIU associate professors Andrew Otieno and Teresa Wasonga are faculty members and the founders of JAMS. As Kenyan natives, Otieno and Wasonga wanted to create a school that could tackle the sociocultural and economic realities of the country.

“JAMS focuses on young girls that are the most disadvantaged because of culture, poverty and adversity that they cannot escape,” Otieno said in an email. “[JAMS] makes an instant contribution to improving the education and circumstances of women in Africa and the globe. Many of the students at JAMS are those who would otherwise not get a secondary education and would be on the path to become part of the circle of ignorance, disease and poverty for many generations. This is one way to break that circle.”

JAMS faces several major obstacles in order to remain successful in the mission, Wasonga said.

“The major obstacle we face is being able to raise enough scholarship funds to enable more bright, destitute girls to attain secondary education in an environment that nurture their innate talents and abilities so they can grow up to be productive, caring, independent, thinking citizens,” Wasonga said. “A full scholarship for one girl is $800 a year, which covers tuition, books, school supplies, room, board and other needs. Other challenges include provision of adequate facilities, such as teacher housing, science laboratories, improvements to the road to the school.” Wasonga said the tuition cost covers the provision of personal effects, including sanitary towels, undergarments and uniforms. It also covers adequate academic materials and teaching staff, Wasonga said.

Associate professor Diana Swanson also works with JAMS and encourages students to get involved. Swanson and Wasonga said the university offers a number of opportunities for students to help with JAMS besides simply donating goods and money.

“JAMS is a project that involves NIU faculty who are personally involved with the school,” Swanson said. “Several NIU students have visited the school and volunteered their time. At least six members of the NIU faculty have visited the school in the last three years to volunteer. This group of faculty and students provides invaluable knowledge and experiences that NIU students can benefit from. In addition, some students have used JAMS as the focus of their internship and service work. There are still lots of opportunities to get involved.”

JAMS has 62 girls in grades 9, 10 and 11.

To learn more about JAMS, Swanson asks students to visit facebook.com/JAMSKenya.