Black Student Union holds elections debate

By Guadalupe Lopez

Members of the Black Student Union (BSU) gathered to hear from its executive board candidates on Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center, Room 405.

NIU’s Black Student Union elections will be held on Wednesday and April 18.

During the debate, current position holders asked questions in regard to the candidates’ plans on improving NIU and bringing the African American community together at NIU.

Adewale Adetunji, junior political science major, is running for BSU president and believes one of the biggest issues that needs to be addressed is the retention rate amongst black students.

“For next year, I feel like in order to have a successful year, we have to get in contact with those freshman as soon as they get here, before they go to the [Recreation Center], before they go kick it in the cafeteria,” Adetunji said. “I want to get in touch with all of them and tell them what BSU is actually about and all of the resources available to them.”

Senior communications major Jessica Fullilove is also running for BSU president.

“My first step would start off with a new administration…making sure that they’re getting resources to us,” Fullilove said. “My next step would be reshaping the foundation of Black Student Union. Another thing is making sure the BSU gets back to being the voice for the African American community.”

Junior sociology major Corey Turner is running for vice president. Turner said he is far from a “fake” leader, which is someone who does the job for the recognition.

“If I didn’t want to see things get done I wouldn’t be here,” Turner said. “I love my people and this is not a resume builder; that’s not what it’s about. It’s up to us to continue the Black Student Union. It’s a chance for us to be something valid in this community.”

The BSU’s budget was a concern at the debate. Junior sociology major Jewel Stephens is running for treasurer. She said she can manage the organization’s budget well.

Junior English major Martha Ross is running for vice president. She believes that in order to be successful, BSU needs to collaborate with other organizations on campus.

“BSU is that umbrella of organizations, so before we can even focus on our own programs, I think we need to make our presence known,” Ross said. “So pretty much by going to these different organizations and supporting their programs and letting them know we’re here. How can we expect someone to support us if we don’t support them?”

“My first task as treasurer would be more organization,” Stephens said. “Letting the director know the exact money that is being spent is important to me.”

The BSU elections will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 17 and 18 in the Holmes Student Center.