Mayoral candidates address SA Senate

By Erin Kolb

Two of DeKalb’s four mayoral candidates spoke to the Student Association (SA) Senate Sunday about the importance of voting in the upcoming election.

Candidates Mike Verbic and David Jacobson were the first two of a four-speaker series to visit the SA Senate. Jennifer Groce and John Rey are the other mayoral candidates, and they will be part of the speaker series.

Both Verbic and Jacoboson spoke of DeKalb’s relationship with NIU and how NIU students can be involved in DeKalb life.

Verbic is a fifth-generation DeKalb resident. He said his lifelong connection with DeKalb is an important factor in his campaign for mayor. Verbic believes his commitment to DeKalb is not shown just through his words, but through his actions and life. Verbic said one of the biggest challenges for NIU students is the cost of experiencing higher education, and he hopes to improve aspects of student life, like campus parking.

Verbic said his experience sets him apart from the other candidates. Verbic has served on the DeKalb Board of Education since 2005 and was board president for four years. He has coached girl’s softball in the DeKalb Park District since 2010 and has served on the DeKalb County Special Education Association.

“The future of DeKalb is best laid in the hands of someone with political know-how and experience,” he said. “That candidate is me.”

The other candidate who came to speak to the SA Senate, Jacobson, hopes his connection with the student body will be an important factor in getting elected.

“I’ve worked with many of you before and know many of you in this room,” he said. “There’s a reason for that, and it’s because I care about the students.”

Jacobson currently serves as the first ward alderman in DeKalb and has lived in DeKalb for the past 10 years. Jacobson said a major problem with NIU and DeKalb’s relationship is that students don’t think the city cares about what they have to say, and the city thinks the students don’t care enough to vote.

“I want to hear from you guys and make sure you have a voice,” he said. “I’m not saying you have to vote for me; just vote for someone. Do research, make an informed decision and make your voice heard.”

Both candidates hope to see an increase in student voting. The mayoral election will take place on April 9.

Senate Speaker James Zanayed brought up another issue important to NIU students, which he said the Student Association hopes to look more into in the future.

“It’s possible that there could be no exemption for universities regarding conceal and carry,” he said. “Just hearing that news, I thought it was a travesty that someone would be able to bring a gun to class.”

Zanayed said under this regulation, people could carry concealed weapons anywhere within the university.

Zanayed said right now, he doesn’t know what the university will do in regard to this issue, but he is still worried about it and will be keeping an eye on it. The speaker hopes to look into the issue more in the upcoming weeks.