Dining hall food committee looks to impove meal quality

By Ryan Chodora

Complaining about food? Huskies are on it.

In 2011, a group of students from the Resident Hall Association (RHA) and Richard Fritz, director of residential dining, created a food committee. The committee meets every Monday in a different dining hall on campus to discuss and critique the quality of food being served.

“We get to experiment different varieties of food and express our comments, and concerns,” said Maria Wojnicki, sophomore communication major and secretary of the RHA.

The committee critiques everything from how food is cooked to quality, consistency and taste. The committee has about 15 members.

“The student[s] who are on this committee are excellent and really care about the student dining program at Northern,” Fritz said.

The food committee has been the catalyst for several changes within the dining halls, like putting new menu displays in Neptune, establishing new operating hours for the 2012-2013 school year, increasing menu selections and implementing change in condiment dispensing.

“I really enjoy the dorm food,” said Michael Burke, freshman operations management and information systems major. “At times it can get kind of pricey.”

Students have varying opinions on the quality of residential dining.

“There isn’t much variation,” said Chris Kosior, sophomore business major.

The dining halls available next year will be Douglas, Gilbert, Neptune, New Hall and Stevenson.

Current goals include having a new location support a more diverse vegetarian/vegan menu and an international menu.

“It’s to better the dining hall in the end,” Wojnicki said.