NIU students look at prospective opportunities at job fair

Senior finance major, Kevin Rogina talks with a recruiter from New York Life Insurance Company about employment opportunities at the Job Fair held in the Convocation center on Wednesday.

By Kevin Steiger

More than 1,000 students and alumni sought their dream job at the 39th spring job fair Wednesday.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. students, alumni and the public had the opportunity to meet company recruiters in person at the Convocation Center. Attendees dressed in formal attire to make a good first impression.

NIU students were able to attend the job fair for free, while alumni and non-students paid $5 and $10 to enter the building, respectively. Participants brought copies of their resumes in order to obtain a name tag.

Liberty Mutual Insurance, International Business Machine Corporation (IBM) and Target were among the 190 companies that were at the fair recruiting possible candidates. There were 100 booths around the track and 90 booths on the stadium floor.

“This fair is for all majors,” said Mary Myers, director of campus and employer relations. “Companies come here looking to hire graduating students that are looking for full time job positions after college.”

Not as many companies attended last year’s fair due to the economy, according to Myers. A lot more mortgage companies took part in this year’s event, according to Myers.

Some organizations, like the Marine Corps, were looking for students to partake in their internships.

Sgt. Garland Brown of the USMC was recruiting possible students for a Marine Corps internship. After the internship, there would be work for the students.

“The internships that the Marine Corp has to offer will give students a perspective what working in the armed forces are like,” Brown said.

Alexander Bugg, freshman business administration major, was looking at the different companies to plan ahead for the future.

“Even though I am not a senior yet, I wanted to come to this event to figure out what companies that I might want to work for after I graduate,” Bugg said.