New Residence Hall Council offers week of events

By Kevin Steiger

The New Residence Hall Council has teamed up with various organizations on campus to create events throughout the week for students.

Alex Pitner, graduate residence hall director, said that the upcoming events will be available to all students.

“We wanted to help promote academic success by creating events to recognize Career Services future events such as the internship fair,” Pitner said.

For security reasons, OneCards may be checked to confirm the identity of NIU students, according to Pitner.

“These events are being funded predominantly by Housing and Dining, Kohl’s and the Resident Hall Association,” said Connie Storey, Complex Coordinator of the New Residence Hall. Athletics, Career Services and the University Honors Program will help with the events, Storey said.

University Honors invited alumnus and comedian Jack Baker to talk about life after college at 7:30 p.m. today at the New Hall Community Center.

An auction will be hosted by the New Hall Council and Housing and Dining from 11 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. The items that will be auctioned will be arts and crafts created by students and staff, according to NIU Today.

A Career Fashion Show will take place at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the New Hall Community Center. There will be free food and giveaways. This event is sponsored by Housing and Dining, NIU Career Services, Athletics and Kohl’s.

Jetpack Jeopardy will test students on their knowledge of academic success. There will be prizes for winners. This event will be held at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the New Hall Community Center at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday. This is sponsored by Housing and Dining.

Freshman math major Michael Stade believes these events are a great idea.

“I think it’s great that they are trying to get people involved to meeting new people with a bunch of different activities for almost anyone,” Stade said. “It honestly helps me feel more connected and it’s a good chance to meet new people.”