Dekalb Police Department to implement 20 new intiatives to combat crime

By Brooke Shinberg

The DeKalb Police Department will be implementing 20 new programs throughout the next 20 months in an effort to reduce crime within the city.

“Some will have a greater impact then others, but all will help make the community safer,” said Police Chief Gene Lowery. “We want to make people want to come here not only to invest but also to raise families.”

One of the initiatives is a combination: The Not on Our Campus and Not in Our Community program set, which work together to prevent crime. The NIU Student Association, Kishwaukee College Student Association, and DeKalb High School’s student government will participate in this community-based initiative, according to a Sunday news release from the Police Department. There is already a Not on My Campus program that is operated between NIU and the DeKalb Police Department.

“What we’re proposing is expanding it to Kishwaukee College and DeKalb High School,” Lowery said.

He said people need to be accountable and responsible for themselves and for those around them. He also said the program could have a side benefit of creating mentoring between the university’s students and the high school students, as well as create interest in NIU.

“The initiatives are all related to public safety and increases safety,” said Lt. Jason Leverton.

In conjunction with Not on Our Campus, there will be the implementation of a program called IWATCH. This program allows crimes to be reported via cellphone or smartphone. The program will include the ability to receive photos and videos and will communicate in more than 30 languages.

“It’s an app that can text, email, or send a picture of crimes or even a crime in progress,” Lowery said. “We purchase the service through a third party vendor. The person reporting can choose to be known but it comes to us without any information on them available to us.” The department hopes to have the service up in six weeks.

The department also plans to acquire a dog and a special vehicle as part of the initiative. An officer from the department will be trained in handling the dog to save costs, Lowery said.

The canine unit is just one of many programs that involve drug prevention within the city.

Second ward alderman Tom Teresinski said DeKalb used to be involved in an overall drug prevention program and this is a good way to get involved again.

“When you look at the overall drug-related and gang-related activity they are always connected,” Teresinski said. “It’s a two-pronged effort.”

Another major initiative that will be put in place is the introduction of an online reporting system. This would reduce the demand of services from the officers for minor crimes not requiring immediate police intervention, according to the department.

Leverton said the department would make the reporting system easy to find online and has plans to have a link on the city’s website as well as the police website. “Our response won’t change, but we are hoping to get more reports,” Leverton said. “People don’t want to bother the police on minor crimes, so they don’t call us at all.”

Leverton said the online reporting system may actually improve police response and help give the department more of an idea of where crime takes place.

Some of the programs will require additional funding outside of the department’s normal budget.

“We are looking for community support, grants, and also means within our budget,” Lowery said.

The department has a proposed spending budget outlined for all 20 initiatives in the program of $466,820. Included in these costs are the hiring of a new police officer, staffing an extra officer for the three-shift patrols, the police canine team start-up costs and a specialized mass arrest vehicle.

Legislation

Implementation of an Administrative Tow Ordinance

Community Based Initiatives

Introduce the Not on Our Campus and Not in Our Community initiative

Introduce a community relations/training officer position

Integrate DeKalb police officers into the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Academy

Announce the domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy program within the police department working in concert with Safe Passage

The formation of a youth in need task force

Proactive Policing Strategies

Introduce the DeKalb Police Department Targeted Response Unit (TRU) – projected budget: $87,205 for additional officer

Announce the dedication of an officer to the DEA Narcotics Task Force

Announce the acquisition of a police canine team – projected cost: $65,000

The introduction of the intelligence-driven policing model

Announce the acquisition of a mobile, arrestee-processing and transport vehicle – projected cost: $53,000

Announce the co-policing initiatives with the DeKalb Police and NIU Police joining forces to reduce crime in the Northwest section of our city

Announce task force and joint police operations with regional law enforcement agencies

Community Service Initiatives

Introduce an Internet-based reporting system

Introduce a field-based reporting system

Announce the acquisition and implementation of IWATCH

The introduction of a firearms turn-in program and anti-violence community awareness campaign

Introduce the Coffee with the Chief Program

Introduce the Partnership with our Community policing philosophy

Present the Resident Officer Program (ROP) community forum