USOAR now accepting spring research project proposals

By Lindsey Rodriguez

The research program, Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research (USOAR), hosted two workshops last week that explained what unique opportunities it has to offer.

USOAR will grant up to $2,500 toward chosen research project proposals submitted by current undergraduate students at NIU.

The deadline for spring proposals is Feb. 1.

The informational workshops were hosted from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday in the Holmes Student Center, Room 305.

“USOAR is student-initiated and one of the most fun programs,” said Rachel Tripodi, assistant director of the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning. Tripodi hosted both USOAR workshops last week. “I see student’s creativity come to life.”

Tripodi elaborated on how their office oversees the undergraduate office and helps run the USOAR program.

Biology major Sarah Stuebing assisted Tripodi in running the workshops.

USOAR awarded Stuebing with a grant for her 2012 proposal. In the workshops, Stuebing relayed her experience studying facial expressions on black howler monkeys in Argentina.

“The USOAR experience showed me how much I really loved research,” Stuebing said.

She also told those who attended about how much the workshops helped herself, and also her overall experience as a research student at NIU.

“NIU might not have the best opportunities but there is always something out there,” Stuebing said.

History major Wayne Duerkes had a research proposal at the workshop as well. Duerkes is studying the development of the lower Fox

River Valley region from 1553-1852.

“Duerkes has been conducting research at the Harvard library in Boston,” said Tripodi.

Duerkes was not available for comment.

Students must get the idea approved by an NIU faculty member before they can successfully submit a proposal.

The study may be conducted on campus, the U.S. or overseas.

Students must submit a faculty mentor’s statement of support and a copy of their unofficial transcripts with the application as well.

To learn more about formatting proposals or to contact a group member, call 815-753-8154, email [email protected] or visit niu.edu/usoar.

Proposals should be submitted by Feb. 1 to [email protected].