Residence hall meal plans to undergo changes

By Gino Hernaiz

Several modifications will be made to the meal plans next year.

Michael Stang, executive director for Housing and Dining, said the $110 titanium plan will not be offered next year because there’s less than 100 students who have the plan. The titanium plan is one of the many meal plans Housing and Dining offers to students who live in the residence halls. Students can select a meal plan that gives them a certain amount of money per week to use in the dining halls.

Stang said the gold plan will also receive a boost in price next year. Instead of being $60 a week, the plan will soon be $65 a week.

The Huskie unlimited meal plan was introduced this fall semester to reduce the cases of students running out of money, Stang said. Students with the Huskie unlimited meal plan do not have to worry about whether or not they will run out of money by the end of the week. The plan allows for students to eat as many times as they want at any buffet-style dining hall like Neptune Hall and the New Residence Hall Complex.

Students who use the Huskie unlimited meal plan swipe their OneCards and are given access to the dining hall. The plan costs the same as the gold plan, and students pay for the plan at the beginning of the semester.

Freshman pre-nursing major Daisy Franco said she finds herself running out of meal plan money by Friday or Saturday, so she ends up using her money.

“I have the gold plan, which means I have $60 a week and I think that they should make it $80 instead of $60,” Franco said.

Stang said students with meal plans have until midnight on Sunday to spend their money. The weekly meal plan money does not roll over because if Housing and Dining does not help students spread out their meal plans, they save up their dollars and would use them in the last few weeks of the semester, he said.

“We cannot possibly provide a quality experience to them if that was the case because we wouldn’t have enough food and staff to do that,” Stang said. “So, in essence, it becomes a forced budgeting for students.”

Sophomore undecided major Alex Labee said he has the platinum meal plan, which gives him $90 a week. He said he feels like the platinum meal plan is sufficient for his lifestyle but toward the end of the week he barely has money.

“I live in Neptune, so it’s a set amount of money when I go up to eat at the buffet,” Labee said. “But if I lived in Stevenson or any other non-buffet dining hall, it would last me the entire week since I would be able to spend any amount of money I wanted.”

Pablo Montes, freshman psychology and sociology major, said he has the unlimited access plan and he enjoys it.

“It is just nice knowing that you can always eat, and you also get 75 flex dollars every semester that you can use to go eat at non-buffet dining halls,” Montes said.