NIU announces Orange Bowl package rate

Junior quarterback Jordan Lynch speaks to fans at the half time rally during the Huskies basketball game. Lynch asked fans to come out and support the Huskies in their Orange Bowl game.

By Northern Star Staff

Update 11:15 p.m., Dec. 7: The deadline to put a name on the wait list is 4 p.m. today.

——————–

Update 2:18 p.m.: Package tickets are currently sold out. Add your name to the wait list here.

——————–

NIU President John Peters announced at a Board of Trustees meeting Thursday that NIU will help students attend the Orange Bowl game.

Peters said students who want to attend the game on Jan. 1 in Miami will be able to do so for $150. Students will have a bus ride to Florida, which will depart from NIU on Dec. 30, and they will arrive in Florida on Dec. 31. Students will have a two-night stay (Dec. 31 and Jan. 1) in a hotel and a ticket to the game. The package also includes selected meals and the bus trip back from the game. There will be a $12 processing fee.

“We want to get as many students there as we can,” Peters said.

The Board of Trustees also approved all necessary and proper expenses related to NIU’s participation in the game.

The BOT also approved giving authority over all expenditures for the Orange Bowl to the president. The president, or a designee, can undertake all transactions necessary for the Orange Bowl game.

According to an NIU new release, multiple hotels will be used to house attendees and there will be about four students assigned to a room. The student package is only available to currently enrolled NIU students in good standing with the university. According to the release, student fan bus package tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.

The packages can be purchased through niutickets.com beginning at 1 p.m. today. Game tickets are free for NIU students through the Convocation Center ticket office.