DuSable Hall repairs just a call away

On the second floor of Dusable hall there is signs of damage to the ceiling. Dusable Hall is in need of renovation.

By Kyle Boyd

When it comes to taking care of DuSable Hall, it’s everyone’s opportunity and duty.

Jeff Daurer, assistant vice president of capital budget and planning, said when university employees, staff or students spot something where a work order is needed in DuSable Hall, they should call the work order desk and let them know.

“Fortunately, we don’t have to just rely on just the few staff at the plant or the building service workers,” Daurer said.

Once his department has information from the work order desk, it usually takes 10 days for repairs, he said.

The condition of the DuSable Hall has concerned some students.

Tamara Boston, senior political science major, said the building is in need of a makeover. She said her concern is there could be mold in tiles or buildings. The building has been cited for safety and health violations by the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL) in the past, according to a May 2012 Northern Star article. Some of the violations include emergency lights not being checked, electrical panels not being labeled properly and floor tiles installed before 1980 not being properly maintained. These violations were labeled serious by the IDOL, meaning they could result in potential injury.

“Mold and mold spores can pose a health issue to those that are sensitive to allergens,” Boston said.

Senior sociology major Danielle Young said compared to other buildings on campus, the learning environment in DuSable Hall is different.

“Students want to take pride in where they go to school, I could see how some would find it hard with a building that needs updating,” Young said.

Daurer said he plans on fixing the problems with DuSable Hall.

Safety and health inspectors from the IDOL inspect campus buildings on a weekly basis as part of a regulatory inspection process IDOL started in July 2011, according to a May 2012 Northern Star article.

Daurer said the work order desk is available to students and staff any time they have concerns about campus issues that need to be addressed.