School of Theatre and Dance to perform ‘The Canterbury Tales’ this week

The Cast of he The Canterbury Tales runs through their final dressed rehearsal in Stevens Building Corner Theatre. The Canterbury Tales will begin playing tonight at 7:30pm Stevens Building Corner Theatre.

By Deanna Frances

Classic folklore is coming to an NIU stage.

The School of Theatre and Dance will present an adapted rendition of Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales at 7:30 p.m. tonight through Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday in the Corner Theatre at the Stevens Building.

The show was adapted by visiting assistant professor Luke Krueger and is directed by assistant professor Stanton Davis. It features stories within the greater plot focused on Chaucer and King Richard II..

“We took the plot out of history,” said freshman T.C. Fair. He said Chaucer’s real life was interesting as its own story. “We’ve tied in the drama to the tales.”

King Richard II requests entertainment from Chaucer, who then tells the stories of different people on the road to Canterbury.

The show also includes songs and dances from the time period, which gives this classic stories an edge.

“It’s a different spin,” said sophomore Reece Holliman.

The cast is mostly comprised of freshmen but includes a few sophomores. For the majority of the cast, this is their first production at NIU.

“It’s been fun to get to hang out with the freshmen class,” said freshman Tamara Heath.

The cast and crew have been rehearsing since the middle of September and are excited to finally perform all of the techniques they have learned.

“It’s been a great learning opportunity,” said freshman Alexis Yordon. “We’re being directed by the head of the BFA staff.”

Tickets are $6 and are available in the box office one hour before show time.