LGBT Resource Center hosts transgender history event Tuesday

Bethany Hill educates the crowd on the history of transgender people. Hill also spoke about some of her own personal challenges with being a transgender student on NIU’s campus

By Sierra Lowe

A look inside the evolution of transgender identity throughout history was hosted by the LGBT Resource Center on Tuesday.

With the Elagabalus to Chaz Bono: Trans People Through History event, attendees were able to hear of prominent transgender people like Chevalier d’Eon and Brandon Teena. Attendees were also able to discuss transgender issues.

Event co-coordinator Bethany Hill said she only mentioned a few people and key events in transgender history during the presentation.

“In actuality, transgender history could be a semester course on its own, but so many know nothing real about it,” Hill said.

Many attendees shared Hill’s sentiment on the lack of factual knowledge on transgender people.

“I’m very active with the LGBT community here at NIU,” said Ryan Mishler, senior community leadership and civic engagement major. “[The] history of transgender people hasn’t really been discussed on a large scale, but this is a great way to educate about such an important topic.”

Hill discussed several highlights and growth in the transgender community. One of the community’s historic lows was related to Teena, an American who was murdered in 1993 for being transgender. Hill said it’s horrible his death occurred, but Teena’s mother refusing to recognize her child as a transgender person after death was worse. His mother refused to acknowledge the name Brandon with anything but anger, and persisted in calling him by his previous female name.

“I am coming from a high school where I was the only transgender person,” said Emily Tudor, junior nutrition and dietetic major. “In comparison, NIU is very progressive with not nearly as major faults.”

Some of the attendees had concerns with their experiences as people who identify as transgender at NIU.

“One problem I’ve seen is in regards to accessibility to public bathrooms,” said Tommy DeLeon, a visiting LGBT group member. “Women seem to guard those things and freak if they see someone who looks different.”

The future is a bit brighter for transgender people. Hill said there has been less cases of people denying their identity. She said transgender people now have health insurance covering transgender health care like hormones.