State of the University address focuses on accomplishments, successes

By Felix Sarver

NIU President John Peters’ announcement that he will be stepping down was not the only topic addressed during his State of the University speech.

During the Thursday address, NIU President John Peters said for-profit schools are competing against public schools for students. State support for higher education is waning and problems with the pension system created an exodus of NIU staff and faculty, he said.

“Despite all this, NIU thrives,” Peters said.

However, Peters said he didn’t want to dwell on the challenges NIU faces because he wanted to focus on the accomplishments. Throughout his presentation, Peters reviewed university projects and initiatives.

Peters said NIU is transforming its course curriculum through engaged learning initiatives. The University Honors program saw growth through new recruitment efforts and the relocation of the Honors House to the New Residence Hall Complex.

Peters said while enrollment slipped for the fall 2012 semester, NIU experienced a 3 percent increase in freshman students in the past year. According to John Peters’ 2012 Vision 2020 update, NIU fell short of their fall 2012 goal of having 24,051 total student enrollment by 4.9 percent.

Peters said the university met great success in funding through the NIU Foundation and their capital campaign, True North. In the past decade, NIU managed to raise $187 million in private giving; he said in the 1990s, the university only raised $35 million.

Peters said private giving helped transform and fix campus buildings. One building that was improved was Cole Hall, which was shut down following the Feb. 14, 2008, shootings. NIU sought input from across the university and determined most people did not want to see Cole Hall torn down.

“Once a symbol of tragedy, Cole Hall is now a symbol of rebirth, resolve and resilience,” Peters said.

State Senator Christine Johnson (R) said many challenges with state funding, like an $8.5 billion deficit, adversely impact state universities.

“I think that’s probably a trend that’s going to continue in the future,” Johnson said.

Johnson said NIU stepped up to the plate by finding private funding and she thinks that trend will continue.

State Representative Robert Pritchard (R) said he didn’t think the landscape for higher education was bleak. He said education has never been more important, and part of the challenge for universities was finding new ways for funding. One of those ways included cooperating with communities and businesses.

“How can you do the necessary functions in different ways that are faster and less expensive?” Pritchard said.

In his concluding remarks, Peters called on NIU to point out obstacles preventing them from improving the university. The university would be announcing opportunities for faculty, staff and students to identify issues in the coming weeks, he said.

“I’ve learned as president of this university that sometimes the best way to lead is to follow,” Peters said.