Women’s soccer reserve players shine on field

By Ed Rietveld

Women’s soccer might want to take a page from the Chicago Bulls playbook and start calling their bench the “bench mob.”

Through seven games, reserves have scored three of the Huskies’s 10 goals this season, and two of those have come from freshmen. Mid-fielder Sara Spaulding scored a goal in the Huskies’s game against Loyola earlier this season and forward/mid-fielder Kate Wirthlin scored Sunday against South Dakota.

Seven of the Huskies bench players are freshmen.

NIU women’s soccer head coach John Ross said Spaulding, in particular, brings a lot to the table coming off the bench.

“She brings us energy right away and a lot of creativity,” Ross said. “It’s nice to be able to bring her off the bench and then we’re getting an offensive punch from the bench, which is just great.”

Spaulding said coming off the bench took some getting use to after starting throughout much of her high school career.

“Sometimes it can be difficult, but before I go in I try to read the game and look at the other team’s formation and what’s on and what’s not on, and I try to adjust to that as much as I can,” Spaulding said.

Spaulding said the more offensive style Ross brought to DeKalb has made it easier for the bench players to contribute.

“I definitely think it does,” Spaulding said. “A lot of the freshmen are forwards and mid-fielders, so I feel like when we come in we just add to our strong offense.”

Sophomore forward Allie McBride said the reserves have increased the Huskies’s depth.

“We have so much depth on this team, it’s crazy,” McBride said. “So, having those players come off the bench, I mean like, it’s amazing because there’s not a difference, really. Everyone pulls their weight on this team and it’s really awesome to see that.”