Humans, robotics peacefully coexist at new engineering club

By Sierra Lowe

NIU’s first robotics club is creating a buzz in the Engineering Building.

The mission of the robotics club is to create a community for technically skilled and motivated students. The club also serves as a forum for the circulation and discussion of ideas.

“I’m excited about it,” said Ryan Riddel, club president and junior engineering major. “Others were looking for something like this. All I had to do was create it.”

The robotics club is not just an organization for electrical engineers interested in going into the automation field, Riddel said. Robotics is a field that integrates several aspects, including math, computer science, mechanical and electrical engineering.

“There’s something for everyone,” Riddel said. “If you’re a writer or into communications, there’s something for you here. We’re looking for diversity.”

The club will be participating in the annual Jerry Sanders Creative Design Competition and will support local engineering events, like STEMfest. The club is also part of an outreach program for high school students and is helping another school start up their own robotics club.

Riddel said the club manages time to raise funds by selling circuit trinkets, like programmable doorbells and sound-sensitive lights, to “raise awareness of science at NIU.”

“You have to remember that this isn’t for a grade, it’s for fun and a good way to get involved,” said Abhijit Gupta, faculty adviser for the club and mechanical engineering professor.

Riddel said the club provides a lasting organization to educate engineers and share enthusiasm.

“I’ve heard of robotics club and if I have time with this new internship I started, I would be interested in joining,” said senior engineering major Daniel Czapla.