Peters addresses summer projects, renovations at University Council meeting

By Lauren Dielman

At the last University Council meeting of the semester, NIU President John Peters addressed all the projects and renovations taking place over the summer.

Peters said the university will also focus on transitioning to a completely wireless campus. Peters said the university is spending $2 million to make the campus wireless.

“We want to be 100 percent wireless by 2015,” Peters said.

Austin Quick, Student Association (SA) Senate Speaker, said at the beginning of the year, people were coming to the Student Association with a lot of general complaints, but he has seen certain problems improve by the end of the academic year.

Faculty Senate President Alan Rosenbaum also brought up faculty response to teacher evaluations.

“The issue is that the University Council said it was okay a few years ago to have online evaluations, but didn’t require them,” Rosenbaum said. “The faculty are concerned that the student responses are meager.”

The council voted 37-6 to send the issue to a committee for further review.

Peters thanked faculty and staff. He also congratulated students on a successful academic year.

“We are expecting to grant about 750 graduate degrees, and about 2,600 students will receive their undergraduate degree,” Peters said.

University Council officially recognized faculty who completed their service, and students, professional and operating staff who completed their terms.

The Board of Trustees will meet next Thursday. The board will discuss next year’s tuition, promotion recommendations and tenure recommendations.