Campus game made for mature and immature alike

By Kayla Nebel

I am a serious college student. I do laundry, go to class, do my homework and turn it in on time. I pay my way.

While sitting outside of the Douglas Hall, I saw two guys with swords run across the field as a large group of other people followed. I couldn’t help but laugh. I then saw one of the two throw tiny marshmallows at one of the people following. That person subsequently fell down dramatically, tripping one of the mob. It was really funny.

I wanted to play that game right then and there.

That’s when I discovered Humans vs. Zombies (HVZ).

I asked around about what it was, how to join and what to do. It’s seemed pretty simple. I’ll just have to go to a meeting and register. Participants are to provide their own band and weapon, then they get to play.

But as I was walking between classes the next day, I heard someone ranting about HVZ, saying it’s lame and dumb and only losers do it. It’s immature and a waste of time.

There is nothing wrong with being immature sometimes. I’m a serious college student, and working toward a great career. But if I acted my age all the time, I would go insane. So I’m going to indulge a little bit in something if it’s fun; it won’t kill me (maybe… except for when I’m playing HVZ…).

If you enjoy what you are doing, you aren’t wasting your time. If the people who play HVZ want to do it, leave them to their wild sword waving and battling with fluffy sweets in peace.

Those students playing HVZ were sprinting across the field. They were getting more exercise then a lot of other college students I know. That’s not something I would describe a loser doing.

HVZ is not dumb. There are tactics involved, and you have to think quick in order to capture a human or get away from a zombie. It’s more intelligent than loafing around in the lounge all day.

And besides, what exactly makes someone a loser? I give kudos to the people who are out playing HVZ. They are doing what they want to do and enjoying their college experience. If someone’s college experience includes sprinting and hiding while bopping people with swords or throwing marshmallows at students instead of drinking and smoking, who am I to judge? What someone does isn’t my business, and I would not judge a person for being themselves. To each their own.

So for the collegians playing HVZ, go for it. To those who keep on saying negative comments about it, try playing it sometime. You might have fun.