SA Senate approves FY 2013 budget

By Felix Sarver

The Student Association (SA) Senate approved a $1.5 million FY 2013 budget.

The money for the budget comes from activity fees students pay. The fees are allocated to student organizations to cover costs.

New expenses were added to the budget before it was approved. The Senate allocated $21,000 for the “We Are Huskies” fund, $10,000 for the off-campus security NIU police will provide, and $40,000 for a new SA database system.

The money allocated for the “We Are Huskies” fund gives student organizations who pledge against discrimination and violence the ability to draw funding for items not allowed by supplemental funding requirements like music and food, SA Senate Speaker Austin Quick said. Organizations will be held to the standards outlined in the pledge.

“This is just one of things coming to fruition, this whole idea of coming together as a community and taking a stand against violence and hate,” Quick said.

Senator Marc Belbis asked if research was done to assess the off-campus NIU police security service. Quick said no research was done since NIU is the first to have this service, but the demand for the service is great.

“I think $10,000 is a small price to pay for increased security,” Quick said.

Senator Paul Julion said he has experience with the service and recommended it.

The new OrgSync database the SA allocated money for will allow the SA to manage more student organizations, keep track of their activities and allow elections to be done online.

The Senate passed a bill requiring people holding elected or appointed SA positions to maintain a 2.3 GPA and be a full-time student.

The Senate held an election for Senate Speaker. Quick and Senator Mike Theodore were nominated for the position. In a 26-2 vote with two abstaining votes, Quick was re-elected.

Irish Music Club and Men of Vision Excellence and Empowerment were approved by the Senate.

Mike Caulfield was appointed the new deputy treasurer.

Eight senators were absent from the meeting.