Hampton says ‘increase in participation in intramural sports’

Freshman business major Matt Cavanaugh of AKL (left), battles junior management major Kyle O’Connor of Sigma Nu (right) at the Chick Evans field house Tuesday night.

By Sean Anderson

The majority of intramural sports being offered at the NIU Recreational Center have seen an increase in participation, said Rhonda Hampton, assistant director of intramural sports and sport clubs.

Hampton said there have been increases in basketball, floor hockey, dodge ball, basketball skills, racquetball and three-on-three basketball.

With these increases, there have also been sports that have decreased. Hampton said there have been a decrease in volleyball and indoor soccer.

Hampton said the reason why there has been such an increase in intramural participation is due to marketing. “We have concentrated on marketing a little more around campus rather than just around the Campus Recrecation” Hampton said. “We hit every building that we are allowed to and putting flyers everywhere. We’ve also been having people spreading news about intramurals by word of mouth”

Hampton said one of the draws of playing intramural sports is students can win prizes and “cool shirts.”

Intramural sports are a change in the norm and pace, Hampton said. They’re another way to work out and have fun at the same time, besides just hitting the weights and doing cardio, Hampton said.

“Being involved within intramural sports allows students to be competitive in a team environment, learn a new sport, make new colleagues, and most importantly, relieving the stressors of class by having fun” Hampton said.

Collin Mruk, who has been participating in intramural for two years and is sophomore marketing major, said intramurals is a fun and different way to compete in events.

“Intramurals are a great way to meet new people and make some new friends” Mruk said. “It is also a new way to compete rather than just playing at the rec with the same people every time.”