Students, professors host community dance school

Jessica Greenen, junior elementary education major, teaches ballet to a community dance class in Gabel Hall Wednesday.

By Lauren Dielman

Students and community members can participate in everything from ballet to Irish step dancing to hip-hop at the NIU Community Dance School this semester.

Dance classes officially started Monday, but registration is ongoing, said Diane Rimmer, Director of the NIU Community Dance School.

Classes start at age 4,continue on through adulthood and are held in Anderson and Gabel Hall.

Rimmer said no previous experience is necessary to join the classes.

“People are welcome to come to any class and try them,” Rimmer said. “We want everyone to find a type of dance they’d like.”

Every class meets once a week for 12 weeks, and each lesson costs $8. Most classes are an hour long, though those for younger kids – creative movement and pre-ballet – are 30 to 45 minutes.

Barb Heimerdinger teaches ballroom at the NIU Community Dance School. Throughout her 30 years of teaching dance, she has taught ballroom, modern, folk, square and children’s education courses. She said she likes teaching because she gets to meet people and help them improve their technique.

Heimerdinger said she mostly teaches adults. Several of her students are preparing for special occasions.

“Some couples are here to prepare for their wedding dance,” Heimerdinger said. “Some people [at the NIU community dance school] have danced for years.”

Jessica Greenen, junior elementary education major, teaches ballet I through III, teen ballet and adult ballet at the NIU Community Dance School. Greenen said this is her second year teaching, and she enjoys her job.

“I’ve been dancing for so long,” Greenen said. “[Teaching] is a way to share my love and passion for dance here at NIU.”

Participants have the opportunity to show off what they have learned in front of family and friends at the end of April.

“We have a recital after the last class in April,” Rimmer said. “It is a good opportunity for students to perform with a low cost.”

Admission for community members who want to see the end of the year performance is free.

“We want to give an opportunity for anyone to take a dance class. We want to instill the students have fun and challenge themselves,” Rimmer said.