DeKalb experiences warmer winter weather

Northern Star Students experience unseasonably warm weather as they walk to their destinations on campus Monday afternoon.

By Olivia Willoughby

Winter haters can finally relax. For this week, at least.

January brought several confusing instances where Mother Nature might not seem to know what she is doing. So far, this week she will slide by in the 40s.

“The jet stream is migrating north of our area again this week,” said NIU meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste in an email. “The jet stream differentiates between warmer air to its south, and cold air to its north.”

Sebenste said during this time of year, the jet stream typically keeps south of the area.

“However, this week, the jet stream will be blowing air from west to east across the U.S.,” Sebenste said. “That means the origin of air will be of a Pacific nature, not much of a polar origin, and certainly not an Arctic one.”

Students can also expect a colder weekend.

“Another cold front and low pressure system this weekend could hold us into the 30s for highs, with a chance of rain,” Sebenste said. “But those temperatures are still considerably above average.”

Graduate counseling student Kristy Dechirico has enjoyed the sudden change of weather.

“I hate winter so it’s a nice surprise not to have to walk around in snow boots,” Dechirico said. “But I’m scared we might have a huge blizzard in March or something.”

Sophomore undecided major Nyesha Brooks dislikes the cold weather. She said she thinks the weather has been “crazy” lately, but is not sure whether it will stick around.

“It may get cool again, but if it’s going to be 50 degrees, then I hope it stays that way,” Brooks said.

February may bring winter back, however.

“Be careful,” Sebenste said. “Winter is not over, and by the middle of next week, another Arctic blast could arrive with temperatures in the teens. We will see.”