Students work to balance classes, employment

Sophomore psychology major Billy Marchewka prepares to bake bread at Subway, 901 Lucinda Ave, Monday night.

By Lauren Dielman

Stephanie Peterson, junior child development major, holds down a job and a class load, but doesn’t find balancing the two particularly stressful.

Peterson, who works the information desk at the Holmes Student Center, said she knows how to keep track of her day.

“I have a planner to keep track of what is due,” Peterson said. “I know I have my nights free, so I will do my homework at night.”

For students with full class loads and an outside job, finding the time to juggle work and school effectively may prove stressful, but it’s possible to manage both.

Mary Pritchard, interim dean of the College of Health and Human Sciences, said time management is essential for student workers.

“Students in this situation need to know that their lives can be less stressful if they engage in planning their schedules and discipline themselves to implement the plan,” Pritchard said.

Pritchard suggests a written calendar or a to-do list. It also helps to separate large projects into manageable sections with deadlines, Pritchard said.

“It is possible to schedule time to study, read assignments and work on class projects as well as fun and recreation activities,” Pritchard said.

While stress is a part of life, learning to handle it is important in order to be healthy and have healthy relationships, said Toni Tollerud, presidential teaching professor in the counseling program.

“I would say it is important to keep the lines of communication open between family members, school professors and work employers while trying to … get it all done,” Tollerud said.

Tollerud suggested students seek the help of a professional counselor when they feel stress mounting. There are several places on campus that provide counseling to students, including the Counseling and Student Development Center and the Counseling Lab in Graham Hall, Tollerud said.

Keisha Williams, senior anthropology and art history major, works at the hotel in the Holmes Student Center, but that’s not her main priority.

“School always comes first,” Williams said.

Williams said it also helps to have an employer who is flexible, so students can have enough time to put their full effort into school and work.