Kent State pegged as beasts of the MAC East

By Brian Belford

Kent State

(25-12 overall, 12-4 MAC)

The Golden Flashes were the best team in the MAC during the regular season, but somehow lost in the tournament to Akron in the final, and found themselves playing in the NIT instead of the NCAA tournament. Kent State is picked to win again this year as senior forward Justin Greene, the reigning MAC player of the year, and senior guard Michael Porrini, the MAC East Defensive Player of the Year, return.

Miami (Ohio)

(16-17 overall, 11-5 MAC)

The RedHawks managed 16 wins last year on a team decimated by injuries. And, Miami has again been bitten by the injury bug as head coach Charlie Coles said that junior guard Allen Roberts is going to need surgery on his knee and transfer forward Bill Edwards broke his wrist in a scrimmage. Miami will rely on leading scorer Julian Mavunga (14.5 ppg) and incoming freshmen to lead it again. Coles said he believes his team will still do well.

“As a kid, I never got everything I wanted for Christmas,” Coles said. “But I got some of the things I wanted, and that’s how I feel about this team right now. We got a few presents, and we’ll go with that and see where it takes us.”

Akron

(23-13 overall, 9-7 MAC)

Akron won the MAC tourney for the second time in three years under head coach Keith Dambrot, who has gone 162-75 in his eight seasons. The Zips aren’t returning as many players as some other teams. However, they do still have forward Nikola Cvetinovic, seven-footer Zeke Marshall and talented freshman Michael Green. Dambrot said his team is not where he wants it to be right now, but they have the talent and the right attitude to succeed.

“Our players’ knowledge of our system and our toughness is not where we want it to be right now,” Dambrot said. “But we have extremely high standards.”

Ohio

(19-16 overall, 9-7 MAC)

The Bobcats are talented and could be one of the most dangerous teams in the MAC. Ohio has one of the best point guards in the league in junior D.J. Cooper (15.8 ppg, 7.5 apg) and sophomore guard Nick Kellogg, who shot a team best 43.5 percent from beyond the arc.

Buffalo

(20-14 overall, 8-8 MAC)

Bulls’ head coach Reggie Witherspoon is known for his ability to recruit and develop players and has put together a solid group. Buffalo sees the return seniors Mitchell Watt, Zach Filzen and Dave Barnett, as well as the reigning MAC freshman of the year, Javon McCrea.

Bowling Green

(14-19 overall, 8-8 MAC)

The Falcons might be overlooked in the top heavy MAC East Conference after being picked to finish last. Yet, Bowling Green is an improving team that is not far removed from winning the MAC regular season in 2009. The Falcons will look to their floor leader, senior forward Scott Thomas, to again carry the team.