Breakdown: Ohio’s offense

By Brian Belford

Quarterback

Sophomore Tyler Tettleton presents a challenge for the Huskies’ defense. Tettleton, who ranks fourth in the MAC in total yardage, is a dual threat to run or pass the ball; he has thrown for 2,894 yards and 26 touchdowns, and has also rushed for 576 yards and eight touchdowns on the ground. NIU defensive tackle Nabal Jefferson said containing Tettleton will be of the utmost importance.

“They call him a running back who can throw, so we’re just going to try to keep him in the pocket with our pass rush lanes,” Jefferson said. “We need to be able to run him down and try to keep him running from side to side instead of up the field and keep all the holes blocked so we don’t give him any daylight.” Grade: A

Running Backs

Senior Donte Harden and sophomores Beau Blankenship and Ryan Boykin have all carried the rock effectively for the Bobcats this season. The threesome of backs have made Ohio fifth in the MAC in total rushing yards with a team average of 4.9 yards per carry. Harden will start and leads the team with 866 yards and two scores. Harden, averaging 5.7 yards, is the breakaway threat, while Blankenship and Boykin should see the bulk of the short yardage carries. Blankenship leads all backs with four running touchdowns. NIU coach Dave Doeren said Ohio is full of playmakers, and Harden is a 1,000-yard back.

“They’re a team that has, like us, very good playmakers,” Doeren said. “Harden is going to be a 1,000-yard rusher potentially here before the year’s over.” Grade: B+

Wide Receiver

Ohio has good hands in its receiving corps with players like sophomore Donte Foster and senior Riley Dunlop, both of whom should see some targets Friday. However, senior LaVon Brazill is far and away the biggest receiving threat. Brazill leads the team with 58 catches for 944 yards and 10 scores, and is a classic big play, deep ball wide receiver.

“He’s a game changer type of player,” said NIU safety Dechane Durante. “He’s not like an Eric Page, where you throw him a three yard out and he turns it into 50 yards. And he’s not like a Jordan White, who’s going to get thrown at 16 times a game. He is more of a type of player that if you take your eyes off of him, he’s going to burn you for one deep, and we have to stay focused and make sure he doesn’t do that against us.” Grade: B

Offensive Line

Seniors Joe Flading and A.J. Strum are the two best linemen with the most experience for the Bobcats, but junior Vince Carlotta and sophomores Ryan McGrath and Jon Lechner also have experience. Together, the line has performed admirably as Ohio ranks third in the MAC in total yardage. The Bobcats have given up 20 sacks on the season to opposing teams, proving they can fold under pressure. The Huskies would be wise to blitz early and often. Grade: B-