Security measures at new DHS cost $660K

By Kelly Bauer

A new facility with around 120 motion-detecting cameras, an intercom system, telephones in each classroom and fire-retardant gates does not come cheap.

However, these safety measures – installed in the new DeKalb High School, 501 W. Dresser Road – were necessary to guard young lives, said security assistant David Chuna. Dean of Students Sean Chamberlain said because of how thoroughly security measures were implemented into the building, it was “really hard” to determine how much of the $80 million facility’s cost went toward security. The security cost was about $315,000, the phone wiring was about $170,000 and the intercom system $175,000, said Tom Carey of Nicholas & Associates, Inc., the firm that constructed the new high school.

According to the firm’s website, the contract value was almost $69 million. Chamberlain said the security upgrades were necessary for safety and ensuring the building is not damaged.

“You don’t build a school these days without the kind of cameras we have,” Chamberlain said. “If you’re going to spend $80 million, you want it to stay nice.”

DeKalb High School’s layout allows the school to be broken up into “pods,” with each pod separated by a gate that keeps out intruders and stops the spread of fire in case of an emergency, Chamberlain said.

What also sets the new DeKalb High School facility apart from its predecessor is its use of technology. Each classroom is connected to an intercom and phone system, and motion-detecting cameras operate 24 hours a day around the building. Chuna said there were probably less than 50 cameras at the last facility. Chuna, who is in charge of watching the cameras during the day, said the security system was more about creating a safe environment through prevention than catching troublemakers.

“Nobody else can see as much as I can see,” Chuna said. “I can go through the whole school in a couple of minutes. A security assistant can be on their feet for hours and not see everything. I try to anticipate what’s going on to make sure everybody in this school, including the staff, are safe.”

Assistant principal Richard Lebron said the technology implemented in the school is “not very advanced” in comparison to other schools, and he has seen security measures similar to DeKalb High School’s at other facilities. Chuna said the safety created by the security system was worth the cost.

“I think when you’re talking about people’s lives, the money should not be a concern,” Chuna said.

Lebron said there are no current plans to upgrade the security systems at the high school.

“I think we’re happy with what’s in place, but we always make adjustments and improvements to our system,” Lebron said.