Campus blotter for 1-/21/11

By Northern Star staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Sunday

• At 1:31 a.m., an officer responded to the area of Lucinda Avenue and Annie Glidden Road in regard to a well-being check. He was advised of intoxicated people. The officer contacted two minors which resulted in them being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.
  • At 2:19 a.m., an officer responded to the second floor of Douglas Hall A Wing regarding telephone harassment. Upon arrival, he met with a student who said she received unwanted text messages. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 3:25 a.m., an officer responded to NIU Parking Lot D for a report of a person who “walked” on top of a parked vehicle. The officer contacted the person which resulted in him being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.
  • At 4:25 a.m., officers responded to the 12th floor Grant South B Tower for a report of a battery. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 11:58 a.m., an officer responded to Stevenson North C Tower for a report of a burglary. Upon arrival, he met with a student who said someone stole his Xbox, iPod, and several other items from his room. Due to no leads, this case is administratively closed pending new leads.
  • At 2:12 p.m., an officer responded to the fifth floor of Stevenson North C Tower for a report of a burglary. Upon arrival, she met a student who said items were stolen. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 11:25 p.m., an officer in Lincoln Hall had contact with a person regarding the smell of burnt cannabis. That person was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

Tuesday

• At 12:11 a.m., an officer responded to the fourth floor of Grant South B Towers regarding a domestic battery in progress. The officer contacted the couple involved which resulted in the woman being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for domestic battery.
  • At 11:00 a.m., officers took a report of sexual assault. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 3:58 p.m., an officer responded to Stevenson Towers to take a report regarding the theft of cellphone. Officers found and arrested Jonathan A. Parra, 18, and Brian P. Sanchez, 18, of Chicago. Both were charged with possession of cannabis and theft under $500. They were processed and released after posting bail.
  • At 8:56 p.m., officers responded to NIU Lot S regarding a criminal damage to a vehicle. Upon arrival, they met with a student who said someone broke the passenger side window of her car and stole her purse. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 10:11 p.m., an officer responded to Lincoln Hall for a theft report. Upon arrival, he met with the student who said someone stole her NIU OneCard and made unauthorized purchases with it. The students who took her card and made those purchases were found and referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for theft of lost or mislaid property and unlawful use of a card.

Wednesday

• At 2:32 p.m., an officer responded to the Holmes Student Center’s NIU Once Card office for a call regarding deception. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 9:53 p.m., an officer conducting a building check of the seventh floor of Grant South B-Tower smelled cannabis. The officer contacted the resident of the suspected room which resulted in the resident being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and possession of drug paraphernalia.