LGBT Resource group shares ‘positive, uplifting message’ with students

The LGBT Resource Center kicked off LGBTQ History Month with their You-Are-Loved Chalk Message Project on Monday by writing loving sayings all over campus sidewalks.

By Lauren Dielman

The LGBT Resource Center will host several events in October in honor of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) History Month.

The first event, the You-Are-Loved-Chalk Message Project, took place Monday. Ryan Mishler, senior civic leadership and community engagement major, said he enjoyed participating in the project.

“Molly [Holmes, LGBT Resource Center Director] and I [along with others] walked around and wrote messages of love and support for LGBT students on campus,” Mishler said. “In light of the recent suicides and bullying, we wanted to bring a message of love and hope.”

Holmes said the goal of the You-Are-Loved Chalk Project was to combat homophobia.

“We use positive, uplifting messages,” Holmes said.

This event is one of the events the LGBT Resource Center planned for LGBTQ History Month.

“[It is important to celebrate LGBTQ history] to understand the context of current events happening,” Holmes said. “We need to understand history to know where we go next.”

The LGBT Resource Center will also host Robyn Ochs, bisexual activist and speaker, at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Holmes Student Center Room 405.

“Robyn Ochs will talk about bisexuality,” Holmes said. “She really engages the audience. We’re looking forward to [her presentation]. We have several events related to transidentity [as well]. We really want to bring awareness to it.”

Mishler said anyone can participate in this month’s events.

“I participate in all the events I can,” said sophomore psychology major Chris Walker.