Guest Column: The advantage of study abroad

By Adam Brown

Adam Brown

Senior political science major

Dekalb is where many of us call home; this is the peaceful image we’ll conjure when asked many years from now where we grew up.

For some, this is perfectly suitable. For others, however, there is a sizable disconnect in play: Dekalb is, basically, the same place they were raised. Where is college, where are the new experiences, excitement and opportunities?

Of these students, a considerable number will simply complain about the shortcomings of Dekalb. In fact, just yesterday a graduate student lambasted the city as a cultural vacuum, void of any substance or entertainment for students-unlike Saint Charles, which is home to, as his argument went, dozens of more corporate outlets. In other words, Dekalb’s lack of a T.G.I. Fridays is indicative of its barbarism.

I’ll leave the final judgment to the reader.

But there is another kind of student, the wandering souls on campus, in search of something fundamentally different. Rather than accept defeat that Dekalb will be an inescapable burden for the remainder of their undergrad, these students will look to the university’s incredible study abroad opportunities.

I won’t spend this column parroting information that can easily be found on the website, though I’d like to make a few integral points:

Studying abroad is affordable.

Given the different durations of time one can choose (anywhere from two weeks to a full academic year), and the diversity of locations (I recommend Russia), it’s much easier than one would initially expect. Honestly, take two minutes to conduct a comparative analysis of how much money will be spent next year in tuition, housing, books and supplies to that of the costs listed on a study abroad program’s website, and see what the difference is. The gap may be surprisingly small.

Studying abroad will cultivate a greater comprehension of the world.

Immersion in a foreign culture obliges one to embrace an international outlook, understand social and political developments and, importantly, better appreciate our own uniquely American culture.

Studying abroad will enhance one’s job prospects.

Aside from the skills one develops (which are considerable, including flexibility, patience and the ability to quickly adapt), the addition of a foreign university to one’s resume coupled with proficiency in a foreign language will greatly enrich a graduate’s appeal in the job market.

As an alumnus of a study abroad program administered through NIU, I can say unequivocally that the semester I spent abroad was the best part of my undergraduate experience.

To me, it’s evident that students who merely condemn NIU and its community out of hand are those who, either out of unawareness or bitterness, never take advantage of its generous opportunities.