Out with the old and in with the “New to You.” Students can exchange their used items at Neptune

By Felix Sarver

Students who want to swap items they no longer need can attend the “New to You Swap” meet from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Neptune Central Southeast meeting room today.

A focus group held last spring tested how interested students would be in swapping items, said Mary Spring, administrative assistant for the office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. Members from organizations like Health Services and Housing and Dining formed a committee to make this project possible.

“We’re kind of piloting this,” Spring said.

The turnout and the amount of items students will bring is not predictable, Spring said.

Spring said she expects students to be able to swap one more item than the amount of items they brought. A student can come empty handed, but only take one item, Spring said.

Olijuwon Davis, junior physical education major, said the swap meet sounds like a good idea.

“It sounds like shopping at a thrift store,” Davis said. “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

Jenny Walker, senior child development major, also thinks the swap meet might be a good thing.

“It’s kind of a good idea,” Walker said. “I give stuff to Goodwill.”

Possible dates for future swap meets are Oct. 26 and Nov. 30, Spring said. The dates may change depending the meet’s popularity, Spring said.