Looking for a date? NIU alum turns social networking site into an online dating page for college students

Screenshot CollegeJunkee.com, created by NIU alum Alex Broches, has converted from a social networking website to a college dating site.

By Hailey Kurth

The name is plastered all over the campus, but what is CollegeJunkee.com?

“I just know that it’s a dating website,” said freshmen Sophia Branz. “At least, that’s what it says on the sidewalk.”

College Junkee, created by NIU graduate Alex Broches was originally a social network website, recently it transformed into a free dating site for college students.

“It started out as a place to go to talk to your classmates about classes, gossip and find notes you may have missed,” Broches said. “But after a while, friends started telling me they were going on mostly to find people to meet up with later.”

If one logs onto College Junkee today, he or she will be greeted by a newly renovated site. There is no academic aspect to it anymore; it is a pure dating site. Users can create a profile by logging in with their Facebook account.

“Honestly, I’m hooked on this damn site now,” said junior business major Tony Accara.

College Junkee provides an instant messenger for users to talk with other members online, as well as private messages to contact offline users.

The site allows users to provide information about themselves like eye color, race, major, age and school. Facebook provides the user’s profile picture, unless they choose to post a different one.

College Junkee services NIU and its surrounding colleges, Broches said. He also said the site is receiving requests to further its reach to other universities such as Northwestern.

Unlike dating sites seen on TV like eHarmony and Match.com, Broches said College Junkee does not decide anyone’s compatibility.

“If you see someone and are instantly attracted, I want you to meet up and decide for yourselves [if you’re compatible],” Broches said.

It offers a search engine for users to find specific characteristics they may be looking for in a mate. For example, a user can search for certain genders, sexual orientations, majors or hair color. A user can also browse by what he or she is interested in by choosing dating, friends, intimate encounter or marriage.

“I’ve met up with three girls so far off this site, and two of them were really cool,” Accara said.

The site has over 4,000 users to date, Broches said.