Guest Column: Make your major green

By Melissa Burlingame

More and more companies – read “potential employers” – are working to improve their green images and start green initiatives.

Being prepared for these demands gives students with a background in environmental studies a competitive edge in the job market becauase companies and organizations can tout the green credentials of their employees.

“Green” is one of the big buzzwords typically tossed around to describe any initiative that helps the environment in some way. Describing something as “green” may detract from its appeal, yet using green as a descriptor is still the easiest way to relay an interest in the environment, sustainability, or energy.

Students like Sharon Osterby, who chose the green Environmental Studies major, recognize that “the environmental job field is growing because environmental issues continue to get more attention and acceptance.”

Sharon knows that she wants to work as an environmental consultant since she’ll have the opportunity to impact several environmental areas instead of focusing on one issue.

Bryce McMullin knows that he wants to work outdoors helping the environment, so he chose to major in Environmental Studies. Majoring in Environmental Studies is the obvious choice, but there are other options for the students who seek careers in marketing, law, education…the list is endless.

Our suggested option to “green” your major is to add a minor in Environmental Studies. Eric Sterling chose to augment his major in Anthropology with a minor in Environmental Studies so that he could round out his understanding of environmental and ecological anthropology.

Like Eric, many students may be interested in finding ways to incorporate an interest in the environment into their chosen career path. In this case, the minor in Environmental Studies provides the basis for incorporating green principles into a major in business, engineering, art, nursing, and the list goes on.

Learning to think about environmental issues requires a way of thinking creatively-and proven creative thinking is attractive to employers. The ability to communicate with different groups (politicians, scientists, customers, stakeholders, future students you may teach, you name it) is highly prized in any profession, even in those jobs that are limited to desk work (everyone would work outdoors if given the opportunity, at least on sunny days, right?).

Don’t forget traditional green businesses and organizations need people to fill traditional jobs in customer service, accounting, graphic design, etc. Adding an environmental studies minor to your transcripts and resume might give you just the “leg up” you need when interviewing for that dream-career position.

Any major can be a make-a-difference major when you add a minor in environmental studies!

The content of this column is the opinion of the author and does not reflect the opinions of the ESE Institute/Environmental Studies.