NIU football breakdown: defensive line

By Brian Belford

The defensive front four of any team is one of the important aspects of a defense, and NIU’s football team is no exception. The Huskies lose nine starters on defense this year and three on the defensive line alone. The line talks about being disruptive, and if they can do a decent job of putting pressure on the quarterback and holding the run, they should be fine. However, the inexperience of the defensive line may be the Huskies Achilles’ heel this year. Here’s how they break down:

Joe Windsor: right end

Windsor’s name was a surprise to see at the top of the depth chart at right end coming out of fall camp, but he played well enough to take the spot away from Alan Baxter. A true freshman last year, Windsor appeared in every game, totaling seven tackles on the season.

Outlook: Windsor, at 6-1, 230 pounds, is undersized as an end, but has made a name for himself as a pass rushing specialist, especially on third down situations. At this point, Windsor is very unproven as a player, but he has risen fast, and his desire to play should only help this defense.

Anthony Wells: defensive tackle

Wells played in four games last year and redshirted his freshman season. The Huskies have depth behind Wells, but the Chicago native put on 40 pounds during the offseason to bulk up, and says he has lost none of his quickness. The hope is that Wells will be better able to keep blockers off the linebackers so they can make plays.

Outlook: This is a project player that NIU head coach Dave Doeren and defensive line coach Jay Niemann will try to mold into a full-time starter. Wells garnered Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times all-state honorable mention when he played in high school, so the talent is there. Wells is a very coachable player who will be determined to prove himself this year.

Nabal Jefferson: nose guard

Jefferson, an Academic All-MAC selection last year, is one of two starters on the defensive line with extensive experience, having played in all 14 games last year, and 25 games total for his career as a Huskie. Jefferson has 40 tackles and four sacks in his two-year career, and will be looking to continue his same steady production this year.

Outlook: Jefferson, at 5-11, 280 pounds, will use his leverage to get low and underneath the opposing offensive line to disrupt the line of scrimmage, and should be a key cog that the Huskies can rely on throughout the year to make plays.

Sean Progar: left end

Progar will be the starter at left end for the third straight season. The redshirt junior from Glenview, Ill. has played in 27 games as a Huskie, and has accumulated 69 total tackles and 10 sacks in his career. Progar was a first team All-MAC selection last year, and was voted as NIU’s defensive lineman of the year by coaches and teammates.

Outlook: There’s a reason why Progar’s face is on the Huskie’s team poster this year: he’s considered a leader of the defense and of the team, and has stated that he wants nothing less than a 10 sack season. Progar’s tireless work ethic has been praised by coaches, and he is good against both the run and the pass. He will be a stalwart at end this year, and should be raiding opposing team’s backfields.

OTHER OPTIONS:

Despite the starters’ lack of experience, the Huskies have some players with experience on the depth chart. Ron Newcomb and Kyle Jenkins both provide senior leadership and size, although both are coming back from injuries. Baxter could have a breakout year if he can crack the starting lineup, as he has played in 25 games as a Huskie. Frank Boenzi is a redshirt freshman who could eventually become a dominant nose guard with his size, at 6-3, 310 pounds, although he has no game experience.