Sex, pumpkins and chairs: Students share roommate horror stories

By Kaity Walker

It’s 2 a.m.; everything is quiet and calm. Suddenly, there is a ruckus about in the halls. It gets louder and louder and it’s impossible to ignore. Soon enough, everyone on the floor is wide awake.

For some, college brings with it a newfound freedom. With the first week of classes over, many people are getting comfortable with living with people they don’t know, and being quiet and shy in the residence halls goes right out the window.

With that comes loud and obnoxious floor mates and roommates you didn’t know you had, which can lead to some interesting stories.

When roommates live together for the first time, it takes time to establish comfort levels and boundaries. Some may find things that may not have bothered them at home frustrate them now, and some may come to regret living with another person altogether. Freshman communications major Mike Bass said this is definitely a problem for him.

Bass warned everyone to check their sheets when they return from a weekend at home.

“You never know when your roommate might have sex in your bed when you’re gone over the weekend,” Bass said.

Even if you find yourself in the throes of passion in the privacy of your own room (and bed), thin walls in the residence halls may not keep all of your private moments private, some students warn.

“[Last semester], this girl would go into her room with her boyfriend and start moaning really loud, alerting the whole floor that she was having sex,” said junior history major Billy Saladino. “Sort of like a mating call.”

Some students like to have fun on the weekends, but sometimes it can get out of hand.

“Last year around Halloween, a couple people on my floor made soccer balls out of pumpkins while under the influence and made the hallways really gross,” said junior accounting major Cristine Estrada. “They also tried to move one of the floor-length mirrors attached to the walls in the hallway.”

Drunkenness can cause some people to act out of the norm and although some incidents may seem funny, others can be potentially dangerous.

“There was an incident where two residents took a friend’s ‘expensive beverage’ after he told them not to, and in the heat of the argument, said friend took a chair and hurled it across the room at them,” said Matt Laurenzana, junior electrical engineering major.

Sometimes, people are just plain loud.

Junior physics major Greg Maj recalled an incident where someone was just banging on the crash door to his floor after midnight until a floor mate let him in. The student continued to bang on his bedroom door because he lost his keys.

In cases where problems may arise with roommates or floor mates, community advisor Anahi Gasse said that CA’s encourage residents to come to them to see if there’s a way to work things out.