Grant sees renovations

By Thomas Verschelde

DeKALB | The Grant C Tower renovations have been completed and the first students to live in the new residence hall have moved in.

Some of the new features include rooms that are 45 percent bigger, upgraded security features, wireless internet, movable furniture, more single rooms and an individual thermostat in each room, said Lindsey Myers, assistant director of marketing and public relations for NIU Housing and Dining.

“We talked to over 1,000 students to see what they wanted,” Meyers said. “The wireless internet, movable furniture and individual thermostats in every room were all student ideas, and the university delivered.”

Students currently living in Grant C Tower seem to prefer their dorm room to others.

“It’s the best dorm I’ve seen out of them all,” said Chris Skiles, freshman mechanical engineering major. “The rooms are bigger, all of the rooms have their own air conditioner and it just seems cleaner than the others.”

Jacob Bernard, freshman elementary education major, said that he would live there again.

“It just feels like it is more secure and high-tech than the other dorms,” Bernard said.

Martise Cooks, residence hall director of Grant C Tower, made sure to stress to residents the importance of being respectful to the property.

“Our biggest concern is making sure to keep the tower nice for all future Huskies,” Cooks said.

Cooks said the residents are very happy about the upgrades.

“This is an enhancement for the student’s college experience,” Cooks said. “It meets the demands and needs for what students anticipate residence halls to be, and it coincides with President Peters’ vision that in 2020, we will be able to provide students with exceptional student services.”