New residential hall exterior walls are completed

By Kyla Gardner and Christopher Gibbs

DeKALB | When students arrive on campus for the first day of classes Aug. 22, they will have a good idea of what the new residence hall set to open for fall 2012 is going to look like.

In the last two weeks, first-floor exterior walls have been erected, and more of the hall’s “shell” will be constructed in the next month before the school year begins, said Brad Hoey, team leader for NIU Media Relations and Internal Communications.

Construction for the 1,000 bed residence hall is on schedule and on budget, Hoey said.

“As we get further along in the fall, as more of the components are put into building, we will be able to roll out more information,” Hoey said. “It’s still fairly early on.”

Hoey said students will be able to see the layout of rooms on the Northern Lifestyle website as construction progresses through the spring semester.

The project has a budget of $83 million, said Jeff Daurer, director of Capital Budget and Space Planning.

Some students on campus for the summer have noticed the construction moving forward.

“It looks pretty nice,” said junior nursing major Mansee Patel. “I’ve seen some of the construction; I guess it looks pretty cool.”

Patel said if she were a freshmen she would live in the residence hall to meet other freshman.

Senior psychology major Renata Kolodziej, said though she is not familiar with NIU’s residence halls, she thinks adding more options for students can only benefit them.

Junior journalism major Erica Paczkowski said she thinks it would be interesting to see how popular the residence hall becomes, especially compared to apartments.

The hall will house freshman, transfer and returning students.

The buildings will have cluster-style living arrangements with semi-private bathrooms, a living area and kitchenette. The community center will also contain a food court-style dining area, a recreation facility, multipurpose rooms and a wireless lounge/gaming area.

Plans for the hall have been in development since winter 2010, Daurer said. A groundbreaking ceremony took place April 18.