DeKalb’s weekender list: April 15

By Chris Krapek

DeKALB | It’s the freakin’ weekend, baby, you’re about to have you some fun.

If you went to the Wiz Khalifa show, you’re probably still recovering from that contact high. Wipe the sleep from your eyes and take in everything DeKalb has to offer during the next few days. This is the homestretch to finals.

Here are my choice picks for what you should be doing this weekend:

What: Dance-A-Thon

When: Tonight 7 p.m.

Where: Duke Ellington Ballroom

How much: TBA

Why: Everyone is dancing these days. Really, this is our era of disco right now. But sadly, instead of bell-bottoms and pompadours, we have dudes in mouse masks. Whether you’re into dubstep or prefer doing the Dougie, do it for a good cause tonight. Sponsored by Campus Activities Board and Event Planning Services, all proceeds from the Dance-A-Thon will go to the Antinette “Toni” Keller Scholarship Fund. There will also be food, T-shirts and prizes. Please, for the sake of everyone involved, just don’t play “Cat Daddy.”

What: Love Scenes

When: Tonight 7 p.m.

Where: Stevens Building

How much: $5

Why: Four short plays about love will be directed by three NIU students in the new Studio Series production, Love Scenes. It’s spring, the smell from the lagoon is tolerable and love is in the air. The plays included are Helpless Doorknob, a piece from “a macabre children’s book author” and Regency Romance, which sees two women fantasize about a Fabio-type. Additionally, two 10-minute plays, Ferris Wheel and A Bowl of Soup, will also be performed. What is cool about Love Scenes is that everything — from directing, costumes, props, script selection — is done by the students themselves. I can barely use a microwave.

What: Wizard Of Oz

When: 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m. Saturday

Where: The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St.

How much: $4 for students, children and seniors, $5 for adults

Why: It’s an obligation as an American to see Wizard of Oz at least once in your life. Luckily, the folks at the Egyptian are showing the film three times in a row. If Judy Garland and music that your grandparents listen to isn’t your thing, bring in an iPod and synch up Dark Side Of The Moon with the film. Whoa, dude, “Great Gig In The Sky” was totally written for that tornado scene! 

What: Drinko de Mayo

When: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday

Where: Everywhere

How much: N/A

Why: This grassroots movement to organize a party as an answer to University of Illinois’ Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day will not work for the following reasons:

1. It’s not May, nor the fifth of May.

2. Who seriously wants to drink tequila for 15 consecutive hours?

3. No one wants to see suburban kids dressed up like Mexican caricatures.

4. When’s the last time you heard people getting stoked for Drinko de Mayo? Exactly.