A DeKalb middle school may face restructuring

By Thomas Verschelde

DeKALB | DeKalb School District 428 is considering restructuring Clinton Rosette Middle School, 650 N. First St., after the school failed to meet standards set by No Child Left Behind.

Clinton Rosette Middle School has not shown steady enough improvement in the area of reading for the past several years, creating a need for this plan, said Roger Scott, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction.

This lack of improvement now places Clinton Rosette on academic watch in accordance with Illinois state law, said school board president Mike Verbic.

“The plan contains six areas of focus: professional learning communities, teacher quality, full implementation of the positive behavioral interventions and support universal program, a three-tiered model, support of students with an individual education program, and parent communication,” Verbic said.

Verbic said the teaching staff at Clinton Rosette will be provided with daily instructional help from hired educational coaches.

In order to help improve the reading scores of the students there will be added time in the schedule for language arts class and additional opportunities for students who are struggling to seek extra help, Scott said.

Mayor Kris Povlsen said he support the decisions made by the school board.

“I believe in the school board, the school administration, as well as our teachers,” Povlsen said. “They have always done what I believe to be in the best interests of the DeKalb community.”

The plan can be implemented in three different ways: the first would cost no extra money, the second would cost $67,400 over a two-year period, and the third would cost $253,400 over a two-year period, Scott said. The cost differences reflect additional personnel and training in each plan.

“The money comes from the district’s overall budget, so indirectly it is taxpayer money but it will be no more of a cost to taxpayers,” Scott said.

The decision for which version of the plan will be implemented will be decided at the next school board meeting at 7 p.m. on April 19 at DeKalb High School, 1515 S. Fourth St.