MAC well represented in Super Bowl

By Katie Leb

For the 45th time, the Super Bowl will commence on Sunday evening. This year’s competition features not only the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers, but also 15 former MAC players.

The MAC’s representation is tied with the Big Ten for the second highest amount of players from FBS conferences. Both trail the SEC, which will have 18 players represented.

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher credits the coaching staffs across the conference with their abilities to recruit quality student-athletes and train them to be successful at higher levels.

“Once [coaches have] gotten [student-athletes] on campus they have mentored them and challenged them; helped them move on and achieve at least one of their career goals which was to play in the National Football League,” Steinbrecher said. “Now they have 15 in the Super Bowl at one time. That is really quite remarkable. I’m pleased to death of those student-athletes.”

While the Packers will be represented by nine MAC players, led by former Western Michigan standout wide receiver Greg Jennings, the Steelers’ six contenders include former Miami (Ohio) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“It’s a pinnacle of a career in many ways, and I’m sure every one of them is hoping to be there once and maybe for a couple of them more than once,” Steinbrecher said. “They certainly want to get there again.”

None of the Packers’ MAC players have previously been to the Super Bowl, but four of the Steelers have been a part of the Super Bowl experience. The most recent appearances for the Steelers in Super Bowls XL and XLII resulted in victories, for which Roethlisberger held the reins.

In all, the conference will have eight players represented who were undrafted, but worked their way into a job and now the Super Bowl. Six of Green Bay’s players were passed on in the draft, but earned spots on the team. Most recent was Central Michigan linebacker Frank Zombo, who will be one of four rookies from the MAC playing in the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh will play two undrafted free agents in Kent State linebacker James Harrison and Bowling Green kicker Shaun Suisham.

“The NFL has a thorough a scouting system as there is,” Steinbrecher said. “Yet, in spite of that, one of the things they can’t measure is heart. Every one of those stories would point to desire and heart.”

Steinbrecher noted the inexact science of scouting and drafting players can be seen in Harrison, who signed with Pittsburgh in 2002. Steinbrecher called Harrison a poster child for those players who may be overlooked, but have the desire and work ethic to make it in the NFL, after he was featured on Monday’s cover of Sports Illustrated.

All the players who take the field Sunday are expected to be playing with a great deal of heart and desire, which makes it difficult for Steinbrecher to select the game’s winner.

“Haven’t the faintest idea,” he said. “I hope we see a great game. That’s what I root for and hope that no one gets injured, and we have a really entertaining game. I hope all the players, especially the ones with MAC connections, have a chance to really live their dream.”