Career Services leads students toward internships

By Alex Fiore

DeKALB | The last time NIU students learned their ABCs, they might have been sitting in a nursery school.

This time, they will be seated comfortably in the Holmes Student Center, getting advice on internships.

NIU Career Services is sponsoring “ABCs of Getting an Internship” Thursday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the Capitol Room, where students will receive advice on getting an internship.

The event will feature a keynote speech by entrepreneur and author Kevin Conroy Smith , as well as a panel discussion with student interns and four employers.

“Smith [is] a successful young entrepreneur who was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal and a New York Times bestseller,” said Mary Myers, associate director of campus and employer relations for Career Services , via e-mail. “[Smith] is involved in a variety of industries ranging from nonprofit organizations to Miami nightlife.”

This marks the first time Smith has worked with Career Services, Myers said.

“He is the owner of the Kevin Smith State Farm Insurance Agency, founder of Story From a New Friend , and sits on the board for several nonprofit organizations,” she said.

Myers said Smith will be covering multiple topics, including what an internship is, knowing your own strengths and talents, building a résumé, and the importance of networking and getting involved.

“Other activities will include a presentation from Kohl’s and a networking activity for students,” she said.

In addition to Kohl’s, Target, Enterprise Rent-A-Car and the Sherwin Williams Company will be represented on the discussion panel.

The event is free, open to all, and students are encouraged to leave their jeans at home Thursday.

“Students are encouraged to dress business casual because this is an opportunity to interact with employers,” Myers said.