Allowing guns on campus makes no sense

By Logan Short

I didn’t think double negatives were allowed in a sentence, but nine states, in layman’s terms, are proposing laws to not allow campuses to not allow guns (actually that is a triple-negative).

Granted, it is worded more eloquently than that, but the proposed laws sound just as stupid as the first sentence.

First off, where did this come from? The Tucson shooting? Or are gun lobbyists just at it again? Whatever the case, most proponents of these laws have a flawed argument that it would make students safer and more capable of stopping a shooter in the case of a mass shooting.

Remember Joe Zamudio’s role in the Tucson shooting, though? He was buying cigarettes when he heard shots fired and pulled his 9-millimeter pistol from his pocket to run out and help.

But was it Zamudio or the man who tackled Jared Loughner who prevented further casualties that day? Zamudio ended helping restrain Loughner which should be commended, but it was not the 9-mm which put an end to Loughner’s attack.

None of this, by the way, happened on a college campus. Let’s pretend a similar situation like this did, though. University of Arizona’s police chief, Anthony Daykin, described the chaos that would ensue.

“Who knows who’s going to shoot who?” Mr. Daykin said in an interview with The Chronicle of Higher Education. “Add to that the issue of the police response. [They’d] have to sort out, in virtually no time at all, who are the people with guns? Which ones pose a real threat?”

Furthermore, how would students know whom to shoot? What is to say that if they did know how to shoot, they would be a good enough shot to hit their target and not accidentally hit one of the many people running in panic?

Do people get shot and killed that often on college campuses, anyway? I am a student who has been a part of one of the very few colleges that has had a mass shooting. The three year anniversary was just over a week ago, but I would feel a hundred times less safe if I knew people on this campus were potentially walking around with guns on them.

The raging testosterone that some guys exert to overcompensate for their insecurities, especially in college, would not match well with a loaded weapon, let alone with ten shots deep of Jack Daniels thrown into the mix.

I just don’t see what these laws would have to offer besides escalated crime, fear and paranoia.

I am almost annoyed with myself for giving this issue more attention than it deserves, but it is more annoying to hear state legislators distract people from the real issues at institutions of higher education with such a terribly flawed idea.