Campus crime blotter for March 1

By Northern Star staff

The following was taken directly from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Thursday

• At 11 p.m., Alexander Poderys, 21, of Westmont, was found to be in possession of cannabis and was placed under arrest. Once at the NIU Police Department, he refused to be fingerprinted during the booking process. The offender was charged with unlawful possession of cannabis and resisting a peace officer and was transported to DeKalb County Jail.
  • At 11:33 p.m., a student reportedly battered another individual after a verbal altercation. Johnny Lowe, 22, of Chicago, was arrested and charged with battery. He was transported to the NIU Police Department, where he was processed and released after posting bond.

Friday

• At 1:07 a.m., a subject was found to unlawfully be in possession of alcohol during a pedestrian stop. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.
  • At 2:10 a.m., during routine patrol, a suspicious subject was seen hiding behind a tree. When an officer attempted to make contact with the subject he fled on foot. Officers were able to locate and detain the subject. He was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol and was in possession of someone else’s driver’s license. Matthew Pirkle, 20, of Frankfort, was placed under arrest and was transported to the NIU Police Department. He was charged with obstructing a peace officer, unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor and unlawful use of identification card. He was booked and later released after posting bond.
  • At 2:19 a.m., officers responded to Douglas Hall for the report of a disorderly subject. Once on scene, the offender was identified. The offender was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for disorderly conduct and unlawful possession of alcohol by a minor.
  • At 12:30 p.m., the theft of an iPod was reported to have occurred from the Art Building. This case is closed pending the discovery of new information.

• At 3:42 p.m., the theft of a purse was reported to have occurred in Douglas Hall. The purse was left unattended in a classroom. This case is open pending further investigation.

Saturday

• At 1:03 a.m., a subject was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.
  • At 6:12 p.m., a complainant reported someone had taken his wallet from a locker at the Campus Recreation Center. The complainant also reported someone had attempted to use his debit/credit card which was in his stolen wallet, without his permission. This case is open pending further investigation.

• At 9:40 p.m., officers responded to Stevenson Towers North in regards to a report of an obnoxious odor of cannabis. Once on scene, a subject was found to unlawfully be in possession of cannabis. Paul Mistretta, 20, of Darien, was placed under arrest and was transported to the NIU Police Department. He was charged with unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia and unlawful possession of cannabis. He was booked and later released after posting bond.