Organizations pitch to students at Winter Resource Fair

Lichine+Williams%2C+sophomore+FCNS+major%2C+picks+out+a+free+sweatshirt+at+the+Winter+Resource+Fair+Tuesday+inside+the+Duke+Ellington+Ballroom.+Students+received+a+free+sweatshirt+for+signing+up+at+six+tables+at+the+fair.+

Lichine Williams, sophomore FCNS major, picks out a free sweatshirt at the Winter Resource Fair Tuesday inside the Duke Ellington Ballroom. Students received a free sweatshirt for signing up at six tables at the fair.

By Alex Fiore

Students made their way around the Duke Ellington Ballroom during the Winter Resource Fair, which was held in the Holmes Student Center on Wednesday.

Over 90 student groups and university organizations were represented, each with an informational booth.

“It’s a great opportunity to connect with a bunch of students at one time,” said Kate Schaab, who was working at the Housing & Dining booth.

While some students had specific booths in mind when they entered the fair, others just browsed.

“I’m checking out every one,” said sophomore English major Jaciel Cathey.

Each booth took a different approach to attracting students. There were booths decorated with brightly colored display boards and offered free pens and candy. One booth was even decorated with Christmas lights.

With so many options for students, making a quick pitch was important, said Edwin Rivera, senior marketing major and NIU Prism co-president.

“You can’t overload [students] with information,” he said.

Students were able to get into the event for free, and free cookies, hot chocolate and soup were available.

The Winter Resource Fair was co-sponsored by the Residence Hall Association, Orientation and First Year Experience, the Division of Student Affairs, the Student Association, the Campus Activities Board and TCF Bank, said Abbey Wolfman, associate director of Orientation and First Year Experience.

Having so many organizations represented in one space is a way for students to explore their extracurricular options on campus.

“I’m new and I want to see what kind of stuff [the university] has to offer,” said anthropology graduate student Adam Kutryb.

Organizations did not have to pay for their booth space.

“It’s a great opportunity to make students aware of [what we do,]” said Patricia Liberty-Baczek, who was working at the LGBT Resource Center booth.

Rivera said he saw the fair as a way to network with other organizations and meet students.

“It’s a good way to get exposure for our group,” he said.

Students had incentive to visit several booths.

If students got signatures from six different booths, they were rewarded with their choice of a mug or an NIU sweatshirt.

Wolfman said donations from the co-sponsors paid for the gifts.